Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Today, Lent begins. I guess I should have put more thought into it, because I haven't given anything up and I haven't really even thought about what to give up this year. I also wasted two meatless meals (okay, so not really wasted, but you know what I mean) on Monday and Tuesday. I don't have a lot in my repertoire...so we may be having tuna casserole instead of the bacon and sausage with the breakfast dinner I was planning. Mike has a lot more dedication than I do...when Judaism says fast...they really mean it...no food, no drink, no shower. I can eat (and drink) a little and still be considered fasting. I need to get my act together.

On a completely unrelated note...is it possible to get shingles from kids who've just had a chicken pox booster? Yesterday morning, I thought it was a contact rash, but as it's spreading, I'm realizing it's shingles. (It looks just like the picture shown here except mine is under my arm, not on my neck) Now, most of you know that I struggled with shingles in college. I'd get them twice a year...always around finals. You've got to love stress-induced illnesses. But I haven't had them in almost 9 years. (can you believe I've been out of college for 9 years this May!?!) What's really interesting is that everything says it's unusual to get shingles more than once. According to everthing I've read, only 4% get it multiple times. Nice.The first thing Mike asked is what kind of extra stress do I have going on. Nothing more than normal. I would have thought that if I were going to get them, I would have last fall, but here I am with a case, and it's spreading. :( The only thing I can think of is the kids had their chicken pox booster (I know...I know. Please no vaccine lectures! LOL!) and now I'm a mess. Ugh!!!

Okay, everyone...it's getting to be that season again. In fact, they were talking about this on the news last night and saying it could be possible for Saturday (for us). Is everyone ready for tornado season? Weather radios, flashlights and all that good stuff all ready to go? We need to get a new weather radio (something happened to mine in the move from Iowa to Virginia). I remember, as a kid, I would get all kinds of canned goods in a bag and put it in the basement whenever there was even just a tornado watch. I never thought about a can opener (that's the funniest part). LOL!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's OK Barb. You can find out what happens to Merideth tomorrow night and can get all cured up again until the next time.

(^_^)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's possible to get shingles from the chicken pox vaccine. Some people think that's why there's been an increase in shingles. When kids get the virus, they usually stay home to recover. When they get the vaccine, they still shed the virus but arn't sick. No lectures, promise. I hope you feel better soon. I hear they are very painful. Will antiviral medication help? BTW, MIL and FIL got a shingles vaccine this year. I'm not sure if you can get it if you've already had them. It was pretty expensive (like $250) and insurance didn't cover it.

Barbara said...

I figured that it was possible but I haven't been able to find anything to back it up. Luckily, this flare up isn't as bad as it could be...a little nausea, but mostly sharp, sticking pain where I've got the bumps. Like someone's poking me hard with a sharp knife. :( If it were worse, I'd go to the doctor and get the antiviral medicine, but they seem pretty manageable right now. And honestly, I hadn't thought about the vaccine because it had been so long since my last round!

the Joneses said...

Obviously you should give up GA for Lent, right? :)

When I learned about fasting, I learned it as no-food-only-water-entire-day (still not Judaism's degree, but pretty difficult). I've since had "partial fasts" explained to me, and I think it a great improvement if you're really going to observe fasts regularly.

I've slowly been building up a storm-stash in our garage, not for tornadoes but just in case of whatever. That's very funny about the can opener (or lack thereof).

-- SJ

Barbara said...

Mike...you do that and you will seriously regret it! LOL (I may be laughing but I'm way serious)