Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Recipes and Such

Hold onto your hats...it's way windy outside today. They say that it's going to start raining tomorrow, freezing rain Thursday night and then a "major snow storm" will hit over the weekend. How much snow does it take to qualify to be a "major snow storm?" I know in VA, anything over an inch was a blizzard (LOL!!!) and caused mass panic at the Wal-Mart SuperCenter. I don't even know what I would consider "major," but I hear that and automatically think of snowfall in feet, not inches. Anyway, I thought now would be a good time to stock up the pantry, so Hannah and I went up to Super Target to pick up groceries. Hannah is such a helper at the store...she's good at grabbing stuff off of the shelves and putting it in the cart. The big problem was that I miscalculated just how far the Super Target was from the school and was almost late picking up Daniel.

I think I may have scared Daniel's new teacher. All this week (and part of last), Daniel's been telling me that his teacher told him that he needs a new coat. He has like a two layer coat and he struggles with the bottom layer. He was almost in tears yesterday and today when it came time for him to put his coat on. I'd finally had enough this morning and left a voice mail for Mrs. T. I told her that Daniel got the impression that she had told him he had to buy a new coat and wasn't allowed to wear his old one. I went on to tell her that I knew she couldn't possibly have said that and would she please tell him this morning that his old coat is fine. She voice mailed me back and said that of course she never would have said that to him (but I'm guessing she said something like it in frustration) and her only problem with the coat is that "because it's a half day program, there's very little time to struggle with coats." She went on to tell me that she was so sorry about the misunderstanding...yada yada yada. When I picked him up from school, she came over and apologized again and said that she was working with him to make sure he could get his coat on by himself and that he didn't pull the whole thing apart when he was taking it off. Of course she "would never tell him to get a new coat! That's just ridiculous!" Mmm hmmm. Oh well.

And now, a Toffee Cracker Recipe because I know I'll lose it if I don't put it here (plus, it's mighty tasty and I thought I'd share)...

Cracker Toffee

20 Soda Crackers (or matzo)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
12 oz chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan. Allow to boil for 3 minutes. Line 9x13 inch jelly roll pan with foil and spray with Pam. Line bottom with crackers. Pour butter and sugar over crackers and spread to cover evenly. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Once chips are melted, spread to cover evenly. Top with nuts, if desired. Allow to cool and break into pieces.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, the older I get, the more I realize that they can't kick your kid out of school for not having something that a) you don't want them to have b) you can't afford c) they have but isn't exactly what works for the school or teacher the best. In the end, you are the mom and make choices that work for your family based on your values and your checkbook. I don't even know if the teachers know the stress they sometimes cause. Good for you that you talked to her about it.

Barbara said...

I was more angry than anything about the whole thing. At first, I told Daniel to tell his teacher that if she wanted him to have a new coat, she could buy it for him. LOL! The funny thing is, it was probably a passing comment while she was helping him get his coat on. Oh well. All I know is that she was way apologetic this morning and Daniel is willing to wear his coat again. Hopefully, she'll be more careful with her words next time!

Barbara said...

LOL!!! Check it out now!