Wednesday, October 25, 2006

GRRRRRR...

24 Days until the move
Word of the Day

coup de grâce \koo-duh-GRAHSS\ noun
1 : a deathblow or death shot administered to end the suffering of one mortally wounded
*2 : a decisive finishing blow, act, or event
Example sentence:
Paul's team led throughout the game, but the coup de grâce was his three-run homer in the eighth inning.


You all know I hate it when people bash my Grey's. I love that show...it's the one show I know inside and out. Come on...you all know you have one. This is the first time I've ever really had a show where I could spot the inconsistencies (unfortunately, there are a lot), know who the writers are, I've adopted several catch words into my everyday language (and so have the kids through me! LOL!),I can generally spot little Ipecac in every episode, and know the detailed backstory on the characters. Dad does it with Anime and I know Sue's been like that with several shows (I don't know why the West Wing pops into my mind...but I know you were obsessed with the X Files) anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad thing...whatever...I'm straying from what I wanted to say.

Mike sent me this article on Grey's Anatomy this morning from Fox News. While I think the author is a fan, he also boldly bashed the show...calling it irresponsible. Yes, Izzie should, at a minimum, be fired. However, IT'S A TV SHOW!!! Get over it already. Irresponsible? Seriously? If people get their medical advice from a TV show, I feel really badly for them. I was watching Boston Legal (don't ask me why...I hate that show!) and one of the lawyers convinced a defendant's mother to act like she had done the crime in order to prove reasonable doubt. He even said that what he was doing was wrong. (BTW, that whole storyline was messed up...a mother and grown son involved in a relationship with each other...so wrong) Where's the outcry?

People really need to lighten up. It's TV...a break from reality.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be getting your first
DVD of the 3rd season any time
now.

(^__^)

Barbara said...

Yay! Thanks Dad! Did you watch your Battlestar Gallactica last night?

Anonymous said...

If THAT episode doesn't knock off
an Emmy or two, than there's just
no fair play at the Emmys. Just
an awesome episode.

Barbara said...

Which episode of what?

Anonymous said...

Battlestar Galactica: Exodus (2)

Susan said...

Barb, if you're feeling badly, you should get that checked out. (grammar police say you should feel bad for them, not badly)

Barbara said...

According to Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, Fourth Course:

"Bad is an adjective; in most uses badly is an adverb.
Examples: The dog was bad. (bad dog)
The dog behaved badly. (adverb modifying the verb behaved)

The milk smelled bad. (After the linking verb smelled, the adjective bad modifies the subject milk.)

With linking verbs the adjective form is used.

nonstandard: The medicine tasted badly.
standard: The medicine tasted bad. (the adjective bad modifies the subject medicine.)

One prominent exception to this rule is the use of badly after the sense verb feel. In informal English either bad or badly is acceptable after feel.

He feels bad about the accident.
He feels badly about the accident."

Susan said...

I'm sorry, I totally disagree. If it gives me the heebies when I hear or see it, it's wrong. lol

A special ly rule applies when four of the senses—taste, smell, look, feel—are the verbs. Do not ask if these senses answer the question how to determine if ly should be attached. Instead, ask if the sense verb is being used actively. If so, use the ly.

She feels bad/badly about the news.
She is not feeling with fingers, so no ly.

Susan said...

Oh, the link for that - with quizzes! LOL http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/adjAdv.asp

Barb, you know I'm just messing with you, right?

Barbara said...

I would aruge that I am feeling actively...with my emotions as opposed to with fingers, therefore, I am still correct.

Of course I know you're messing with me...why would I bother pulling out grammar books if you weren't! LOL!!! You're also one of the only people I can argue grammar with!

Anonymous said...

As a former pupil of Mrs. Schmidt, I agree with Sue. Eeg gads, Kids! (She says while pulling her hair out). It's the same with smell badly. Some people just don't feel or smell that well.

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's late. Sue already brought up the senses. I'm going to bed.

Susan said...

Hey, if somebody learns something... LOL

Barbara said...

Alright...raise your hand if you have an English degree.

*Barb raises her hand*

That's right! It's me. Of course, my main things were creative writing and literature - not grammar but that doesn't matter! LOL!!! I should be correcting you! ;)

Don't kill me please

Anonymous said...

Sue, you sit on her, I'll tickle her.

Barbara said...

Shouldn't it be that Deb sits on me while Sue shoves chemically treated grass in my mouth?

Anonymous said...

I want to torture you not squish you!

Susan said...

LOL! Man oh man would Mrs Schmidt be proud.

Barbara said...

Yes she would.

Barbara said...

LOL!!! Aerosmith as English teachers...brilliant!

Susan said...

I'm not even gonna touch that! LOL