Friday, August 25, 2006

Cookie Dough

I had to go out to get milk tonight since the kids really go through it. While we were there, I was looking for a snack. While my kids and husband are real fans of Little Debbie snacks, I am not. But I wanted something sweet. I spotted cookie dough out of the corner of my eye. I asked the kids if they'd like some cookies. Of course, they screamed yes and I grabbed a tube of chocolate chip (I wish I had the energy to make homemade but I didn't feel like searching for all of the ingredients).

We get home and I begin slicing the dough. For a moment, I'm flooded with a memory...

When I was a kid, my dad would go to the Commisary in Rantoul once a month for major grocery shopping. Since it was a long trip and the car was often overflowing with groceries on the way back, it was a real treat to be able to go with. I think I was in 8th grade, or around that age, and I got to go. Dad never liked to stop at fast food restaurants for lunch because he claimed he couldn't get the hang of eating a Big Mac and driving at the same time (don't get him started on drive thru's!) This particular month, Dad and I decided to be different and indulged in bags of pepperoni and tubes of cookie dough for lunch. I remember thinking how cool it was that I was having this absolutely horrible lunch but it was okay because Dad said it was. I also remember getting just a little into the cookie dough and most of the way through the pepperoni before feeling totally sick. Just a nice childhood memory.

Smiling, I sliced off a little of the cookie dough for the kids, and a hunk for myself. A few bites in, I'd had my fill but the smiles on the kids' faces, like they had gotten away with something, was precious. I don't indulge in cookie dough very often, but I do like to snack on a good bag of pepperoni now and then!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Treat to help Dad at the commisary? Hey Dad, why did I HAVE to go? Hmmm. Barb, cookie dough is nasty and baaaaaad for you. Now cake batter....lol

Barbara said...

You didn't think it was a treat? I loved going...except for the getting up at the butt crack of dawn part. Maybe I thought it was a treat because you ALWAYS got to go.

Cake batter is pretty yummy, especially cake batter ice cream from Cold Stone.

Anonymous said...

Mark used to buy those tubes of cookie dough and eat it.

Susan said...

Nope, not a treat! Now it's even less so, lol. Cookie dough is nasty. I'll take the cookies, thankyouverymuch.

Anonymous said...

I went to Rock Island today! The
chow on the way home was a package
of smoked turkey breast and a 20oz
Pepsi! Durn. Should have read
your blog before I went, I coulda
had sugar cookie dough too! I got
mom a tube of pizza dough though.
I'm down to one cart these days.
The days of two carts for a month
of chow is over except maybe for
Christmas or Thanksgiving if we
have a mob here although giving
Debbie a 20+ lb turkey has it's
advantages...

Speaking of turkey, last time I got
mom a butterball turkey breast and
we had a turkey, dressing, mashed
potatoes dinner in August!

Barbara said...

LOL!