Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Blood Tests, Urinalysis and a CT Scan...OH MY!!!

Jacob's been having these headaches for a couple of weeks now...some severe enough to wake him up at night. We didn't think a lot about them since he'll sometimes latch onto an ailment and run with it for a while. He had his physical yesterday and his pediatrician (thank GOD we switched!) wasn't so sure. He's got some lumpy things on his neck (from his head all the way down to his shoulders) that she thinks could be a sign of infection. She told me that it was probably nothing more than just a minor infection, but her face when she was telling me that she was very serious about this. She ordered a CT Scan for Jacob and handed me the form to use to call the CT people about it.

We get out to the car and I immediately call to set up the appointment. I guess I thought that they would tell me to get him in there now so I didn't want to leave the parking lot since we were less than 1/4 mile from the hospital. Imagine my shock when they said that the first available appointment was on the 29th. I called Mike to let him know what was going on and he called the pediatrician to let them know we couldn't get in before the 29th. They told us, no...2-3 days max. So I called back and told the guy that. He wasn't happy with me but told me to come in tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5:30.

I called Jonna to ask her if she could take Daniel and Hannah but I got her machine. I told her to call me back on the cell phone. My phone rang at 11:45pm and it's Jonna. "I saw your lights on so I figured you were up." Was what she said to me. We talked for a while and she said she'd be more than happy to watch the kids for me...just bring pj's and a change of underwear for them. I asked her how long she thought it would take. She told me that she just assumed that it would be well into the night before we got back since everything at the hospital seems to take at least 4 hours. I told her that they told me that he would definitely be under the machine at 6. Hopefully, we'll be home by 7. And then, we wait. I'm hoping that they hand us some aspirin and tell us to get out...that there's nothing there. That's the best case scenario. I can't think about the worst case right now...I'm freaked out enough as it is. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, I know that must be a little scary. Let us know what happens.

Susan said...

Any news yet? Sheesh! I'd be a little pissed about the nonsitter, but then again, it happens to me so much that I don't even ask people anymore.