Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Monday Update

Yesterday, I went to Michelle's for our own little playgroup (driving out to Stephens City just did not sound appealing...sorry if I offended you, Sara!) and we had a nice discussion about everything that's been going on. Luckily, it's been resolved but it looks like a group of us are probably going to take the fall. Whatever.

After Jacob got home from school, we all went outside to play and enjoy the afternoon. I had gotten the kids a big new bucket of sidewalk chalk and we were having a good time. It's interesting the things you miss when you're inside. I was laughing at one neighbor who was trying desperately to get her Yukon XL in her garage. She usually parks in the driveway and has been talking about getting her garage cleaned out enough to park her cars in there. I guess it happened this weekend, but I think that Yukon is just too big for the garage. She couldn't get the garage door closed!

Then, I saw another neighbor drive furiously down the street and left again within a matter of minutes. She waved, but looked frustrated.

Storm clouds were starting to roll in (one of the things I miss about the midwest is the thunderstorms) so we started packing up our stuff to put into the garage. We headed into the backyard to get a better view of the clouds...and I thought I heard James mowing in the backyard. We walk around and we're greeted by Addy and Gavin. Addy immediately tells me they were locked out of the house and their mom had to come home from work to unlock the door. That's why Jonna looked so frustrated. At that point, James comes around the corner on his riding mower. Attached to the back is his spreader. He's trying to get the fertilizer down before the rain comes. At that moment, there's lightning and thunder. I look at the kids and tell them it's our cue to head inside.

We come in and watch the clouds from the back door. My neighbor, Donna, calls to ask if Luke and Jake are over. I tell her no...are they missing? She says they're probably in the back yard but she thought she'd try our house first. I hang up and see James pull his mower into his garage...almost at the same moment the sky opened up and you could hardly see across the backyard because of the rain. That guy had some good timing.

Luckily, no severe weather and the whole thing was over in about 7 minutes.

Daniel's going through this "I'm the boss of you" phase. It's killing me. He's constantly telling Hannah that he's the boss of her because he's bigger. He told me yesterday (and reminded me this morning) that when it's his birthday, he's the boss of me. I have to say that it is adorable to hear Hannah say "you not boss of me!"

3 comments:

Susan said...

We don't have thunderstorms, either.

Barbara said...

I certainly don't miss the severe weather but I miss those big thunderstorms. The ones where it would get pitch black in the middle of the day...

Anonymous said...

I have to admit they are pretty thrilling.