Saturday, April 01, 2006

Me and My New Backbone

So, I go out to get Mike new tires this afternoon at Costco. I've got the boys with me...I figure that I can kill time by doing a little shopping and if we still have to kill some time, there's a pet store and coffee shop across the street we can go to. So, we go into the tire area and wait a little for someone to come help us. When he finally does come, I tell him that I need four tires for a Kia Spectra. He says "sorry, can't help you. We don't carry those." I asked if they could be special ordered. "Nope. Sorry." He didn't look in the computer or anything. He may as well have said, "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!" Now, I know that these are available to Costco because I looked it up online. So I walk out and head to the Customer Service desk. They're pretty busy today so I have to wait a few minutes. I ask to speak to a manager/supervisor. The supervisor comes over and I tell her what happened. She calls a manager. The manager used to work in tires, so he'll really be able to help me. When he comes over, he asks again what happened and I tell him. I said, "if you don't carry the tire and can't get it, that's fine, but the attitude I got was uncalled for." He leaves to talk to the guy. In the meantime, the Customer Service girls have loaded the boys up with candy.

The manager comes back and apologizes again. He's pretty sure they can order the tires...can he take a look at the car to make sure of the kind I need? Sure. We walk out to the car and he writes down some stuff. We walk back into the tire area. The manager asks me my name and I tell him. He says, "Barbara, this is James. James, this is Barbara. Let's start this whole thing all over again." James can't stop apologizing at this point. It's been decided that if I still want the tires, they can get them in on Wednesday and all I have to pay for is the tires and tax. No installation charge, no disposal charge. DEAL! James gave me all of the info about the tire and special order number, etc and that he'll be in again after 12:30 on Wednesday. Since I heard him place the order (he did it on speakerphone), I know that they won't be in before then anyway, so that's fine. More apologies, and I'm out the door.

I think me and my new backbone are going to get along just fine!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm telling you, I'm all about ratting people out. You just have to stand up for yourself. Yeah for you!

Barbara said...

I had thought about walking out and just going elsewhere but then I thought why should this guy be able to get away with this! My whole point was to let the management know that they lost a $300 sale...then they go and offer this good deal. I'd really had no intention of getting the tires at Costco after he blew me off but how could I turn down that deal?

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Barb. Customer service is still important for all of us.