Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Wanted To Post This Yesterday

But I couldn't because Mike would have had an idea of what he got for his birthday.

The kids and I headed to the comic book store to get Mike a gift for his birthday. They were adamant that he got something superhero related, so off we went. I've never much cared for comic book stores. It's like a big super secret club that you are allowed into but are never fully welcome until you prove your vast superhero knowledge (which I do not have).

When I walk into a comic book store (without Mike), one of two things usually happens.
1. I'm completely ignored because I'm a girl and what could I possibly know about comic books
2. I'm followed around the store because I'm a girl and what could I possibly know about comic books

This time, #2 occurred. The guy behind the counter asked me what I was looking for as soon as I opened the door.

Me: a gift for my superhero loving husband's birthday.
Comic Book Guy: Do I know him? (apparently, comic book guys know their regulars really well)
Me: No, I don't think so.
Comic Book Guy: That's going to make it harder, what does he like?
Me: I know his favorite is Nightwing.
Comic Book Guy: I have this Batman sculpture that just came in today.
Me: Batman's not Nightwing
Comic Book Guy: (rolling his eyes) I know but I think he might like this. Especially if he likes Nightwing. (I know he's thinking I'm a complete idiot because Nightwing comes out of Batman so there is a connection, but come on! Nightwing is not Batman!!!)
Me: Ummm...but it's Batman.
Comic Book Guy: Alright, fine. I do have this big Nightwing 13-inch poseable figure.
Kids: YAY!!!!
Me: I guess that's the winner.
Comic Book Guy: Okay. Let's ring you up.
Me: I think the kids want to look around a little.
Comic Book Guy: Oh. Ummm...okay.

I know he wanted me out of that store. I hate going into there. Maybe next time I'll just get him a gift certificate. LOL!

3 comments:

the Joneses said...

This is very funny. You shouldn't disturb comic-book-guys' worlds like that.

-- SJ

Barbara said...

When I told Mike the story and got to the part with the Batman sculpture, Mike actually sided with the Comic Book Guy! "Well, I see his point," was what he said to me!!! Oh well. He did love the Nightwing.

Anonymous said...

I get the same thing in the manga section of any bookstore. In fact, I just bought the latest issue of "Fruits Basket" #20 at Borders the other day. One for Emma and one for Megan. As I was walking to the register to pay, the clerk materializes out of nowhere and asks if I need help. It never fails. Even though I time my visits to the magna section to avoid the "Manga Cows" - teenage girls who sit in the aisles reading magna. OK. I realize that old farts in the manga
section might be up to no good, but jeeze! Every time?

Dad