Thursday, June 26, 2008

This One Time at Cub Scout Camp...

No no no. It's not like that! LOL!

It was a late arrival day for camp since it was Family Night and it ran until 8pm. We only stayed until a little after 7, though. Today's activities were fishing, leather crafts and codes & ciphers. I think that the boys enjoyed the fishing most of all.

We separated the boys into three groups for the fishing. Along with the bluegill that were swimming around, there were also painted turtles in the water looking for a worm. Daniel managed to catch the same one three times. However, because it's a heavy turtle and they were using little bamboo poles, it would fall off just as Daniel would pull it out of the water. He thought it was the funniest thing ever. That was good for about 20 minutes of pure entertainment.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful until free time towards the end of the day. Before I tell the story, I have to ask who's genius idea it was to give these boys free time? I mean really. It's the worst part of the day for sure. Anyway, we had about 1 1/2 hours to kill before parents began arriving. One of the packs next to us set up a baseball pitching machine using PVC pipe and a leaf blower. The boys loved it. There was also a pick-up game of football, as well as your standard water gun fights. The kids were enjoying it. Some of the other parents and I were talking about the day's events when two boys (I'll just call them K and W...no they were not my boys!) fly into the tent, rolling on the ground. We broke up the fight and sat them both on their sit-upons for 10 minutes to cool off. After 5 minutes, I noticed that they were not cooling off since they were glaring intensely at each other. I had K turn around so that they couldn't look at each other for the rest of the time. After their time was up, we scolded them for fighting, told them to stay away from each other and sent them on their way. Five minutes later, one of the moms sees K trying to tear W's leg off. Before she could get there, a punch from W is thrown and lands right on W's mouth. K's lip is split open and is really bleeding. W is placed on his sit-upon for the duration as K is sent to the first aid tent.

K returns about 10 minutes later with ice. He, too, is told to sit on his sit-upon until his parents arrive. With about 10 minutes to go before parents arrive, I heard someone ask K why he was sitting in the tent. K tells this boy that it's because he's bleeding and we don't want blood to get everywhere. I decide to remind K of exactly why he's been placed there. He tries to tell me that he was not fighting, that he was punched for no reason. Good try buddy. Anyway, Jill (one of our walking leaders) talked to both boy's parents about the incident and I guess we'll try again tomorrow. No, they were not expelled from camp. It's been a long, hot week and something was bound to happen eventually. I just wish I knew why they were fighting.

I don't know if I want to know what's going to happen tomorrow!

No comments: