Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Interesting Discussion

We had a really good talk during my Bible Study this morning. We were reviewing Galatians 5 and what we got out of it. Believe it or not, I've always had a difficult time pulling hidden meaning out of any text...especially the Bible. However, I usually have a lot to say when someone brings something up.

One of my friends said that the verse that spoke to her was Galatians 5:14-15, The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

We began talking about literal neighbors and then husbands. We said that it seemed that they were the ones we often bit and devoured the most. We got pretty specific. Someone mentioned that their husband had no idea how to do dishes and I chimed in that mine did, but couldn't load a dishwasher to save his life and that I often came, after he was done, and rearranged everything, grumbling the whole time. I did say that I would never tell Mike to his face that I thought he was doing it wrong, but only rearrange the dishwasher when I think he won't notice (fat chance...he's noticed) Then someone mentioned that their husband has no idea how to close a cabinet door. A chorus of, "ugh!" came from the ladies in the room. Again, I chimed in that Mike does the same, and as I'm slamming the door shut, I always fail to see past the open door to see that the reason it's open is because he's put away the dishes that were in the dishwasher and reloaded it with the dinner dishes. This time, a sad chorus of, "yeah, I do that too," came from the girls.

I think that most of us had an epiphany this morning. Mike, I promise I'll try to see past the open cabinet door (and unscrewed bottle tops...LOL!) to see the dishes done and/or put away more often.

1 comment:

the Joneses said...

I'm behind on blogging and scrambling to catch up, so just read this post. It's great! I visit a lot of "mommy blogs," where a favorite theme is My Husband Is a Jerk. It's refreshing to read a wife who says that, um, maybe a little appreciation is in order instead!

-- SJ