Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something Funny And Something Interesting For A Cold Day

Someone posted this on the Weather Blog and I thought I'd post it here too. It's at least good for a chuckle. As of right now, we're in the 12 degree range (5 degrees with the wind chill). It could be worse, though. We could still be in Dubuque where it's currently -6 degrees (actual temp) with a wind chill of (no kidding) -31 degrees! I do not miss those temps at all, since that's typical of winter there. Two winters there was enough for me!

First, the funny...
Temperatures and What They Mean

40 degrees - Californians shiver uncontrollably, Minnesotans go swimming.
35 degrees - Italian cars don't start.
32 degrees - Water freezes.
30 degrees - You can see your breath. Politicians begin to worry about the Homeless.
25 degrees - Boston water freezes. Cat insists on sleeping on your bed with you.
20 degrees - Californians weep pitiably, Minnesotans eat ice cream. You can hear your breath.
15 degrees - N.Y. City water freezes. Politicians begin to talk about the homeless.
12 degrees - You plan a vacation to Mexico.
10 degrees - Too cold to snow
5 degrees - You need jumper cables to get the car going. Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you.
3 degrees - You plan a vacation in Houston.
0 degrees - Too cold to skate. American cars don't start.
-5 degrees - You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo.
-10 degrees - Too cold to think. Politicians actually do something about the homeless.
-15 degrees - Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you. You need jumper cables to get the driver going.
-20 degrees - You plan a 2 week long hot bath.
-25 degrees - The mighty Monongahela freezes. Japanese cars don't start.
-30 degrees - Californians disappear, Minnesotans button top button...
Below -30 - The kids call home from college. End of the world...

Now the interesting...
The following article taken from a less than favorite weather blog (I go there when I don't particularly care about weather accuracy and need a good laugh...also known as the site where the meteorologist said that, "the worst of winter is behind us," 3 days before winter even began) that talks about how we're going to be heading into a deep cold period. Check it out. Changes in the Sun’s Surface to Bring Next Climate Change

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. It's ZERO degrees this morning. The wind has gone away and it's just cold. J.C. slept on the bed last night mainly because I had the electric blanket on and he won't budge off of it even if I used a crow bar on him. The house is warm, but I had to go out to the curb and put my trash can upright (again). The wind kept blowing it over. The only thing that I can think of to get me out of this house today is to put my trash can back in the garage after pickup and to collect my mail. Otherwise, I'm holed up inside.

(^_^)

Barbara said...

After I drop off Hannah at school, I'm heading up to the store to stock up so that I don't have to leave the house if the big snow hits. I'm not convinced we're going to get a lot, but it never hurts to be prepared!

Anonymous said...

It's too cold to type.

Barbara said...

Maybe this will help warm you up...Peosta, IA is -6 degrees (-26 degree wind chill) right now!

So far, we're at 14 degrees with a 1 degree wind chill...heading to 30 later today. Our good meteorologist is still saying 1-4 inches of snow for us tomorrow but he always leans on the conservative side until about 12 hours out. Apparently, the models are beginning to say we could get 8 or so inches of snow. I just hope it's not too cold!

Anonymous said...

Now how is that supposed to warm me up? Bringing up the weather in Fiji might warm me up.

Susan said...

I was walking around outside without a coat or a jacket. LOL