Thursday, January 24, 2008

Quite The Week

Between all of the birthdays (Happy belated birthday to Donna and Happy 16th Birthday today to my niece Megan!), federal holidays, trips, anniversaries and just general goings-on this week, I did not need a sick child. I got a call from the school nurse yesterday telling me that Jacob had an earache. I picked him up early (but not as early as I would have liked since he desperately wanted to shop the book fair at school) but didn't take him to the doctor like I probably should have. I figured that I'd wait and see how he was feeling today.

When I got up this morning, he was already up and camped out on the couch. Apparently, he'd been up for several hours (like around 5am) but didn't want to wake anyone. He looked terrible. I decided to keep him home and made an appointment for him after Hannah's gymnastics class.

We get to the doctor and all he wants to do is lay on the exam table. The doctor comes in and tells me that his ear looks really bad and that it's normal if we see any blood or puss leaking out of his ear ("just wipe it away," she tells me). What the heck? She goes on to tell me that it looks like Jacob's eardrum burst sometime last night...he tells her that he did feel stuff coming out of his ear and onto his shirt in the middle of the night, he thought it was normal. Seriously? You thought that crap pouring out of your ear is normal? Anyway, she said that it would help with the healing and the pressure and that he should be good in a couple of days. Aack!

He's currently napping on the couch...that's a good thing since I don't think he got much sleep last night. Poor kid.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor Jacob. I hope you are feeling better soon, hon! Big hugs from Aunt Debbie.

Anonymous said...

Jacob,

Earaches can hurt a lot. Bubby and Zayde hope you are better real soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I have also had a kid home sick all week. David has some sort of flu/cold thing going on. I hope Jacob feels better soon.

-Donna

Susan said...

Ouch, that sucks. Hope he's better soon.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Jacob was just sitting on the couch because he didn't want to wake anyone AND this was after his ear was leaking crud!!!! I think even I would've woke up someone for that!

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Barbara said...

Jacob doesn't like to bother anyone at night unless he's in severe, horrible pain. I can't remember the last time he's woken us up to tell us he's sick. Daniel and Hannah on the other hand...they wake us up for everything. Heck, last night Daniel came in to ask if he could sleep in our bed (at 4am or so). I vaguely remember telling him, "not tonight," and he said, "okay," and left. LOL!

Anonymous said...

How is Jacob doing?

Bobbi

Barbara said...

I kept him home again today because I knew that I'd be getting a call around 1pm telling me that I needed to come get him because his ear hurt. I figure that we'll have the weekend for him to get better and he'll go back on Monday. He's been loading up on hot tea and motrin and seems to be doing better.