Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dodged a Bullet Big Time

Our temperatures rose a little bit last night, so for us, the ice storm wasn't as bad as they said it could be. Of course, they were always saying that one or two degrees would be the difference between a major ice storm and one that's manageable. We got those one or two warmer degrees. Of course, those just 40 miles or so to our north weren't as lucky...they got slammed. Lots of power outages and tree damage up there. People on the weather blog were talking about how they saw transformers close to my house blowing but we were fortunate enough to keep power...so far not even a flicker (desperately knocking on wood now).

It continues to rain and temps are dropping a little but they are saying that the worst of the storm is behind us. I'm a little nervous because it is supposed to rain through the evening and stuff will probably refreeze but I guess as long as the roads are good, we should be fine. The kids are thrilled because they don't have school today and are praying for another snow day tomorrow. I highly doubt that there will be one tomorrow, but I guess I don't blame the kids for wishing.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took this morning...

The tree in our backyard

A close-up of the branches

The ornamental grass in front of the house. Usually, the grass comes up to the middle of the front windows but the ice is weighing it down (I can't remember the last time I could see so clearly out the front windows! LOL!)

The pine tree in front of the house...I hate this tree but it keeps hanging in there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also were lucky with the temperatures. But, they're also saying our icy storm watch goes until midnight tonight. Hope it waits until I'm home.

Barbara said...

Our Ice Storm Warning continues to midnight as well. Reports of transformers blowing are still coming in. Fingers crossed that ours continues to work!

Anonymous said...

We dodged the bullet again. The bulk of the storm went north of us this time. We still got 3/4" of rain out of it though. It was right at 32 degrees through most of the night but climbed to 34 early on. Everythings melting. I even opened up all of the windows for 20 minutes just before I came down to the 'puter. Makes all the difference in the world if I open the windows in the winter. These new sucker's are TIGHT.

(^_^)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are ok, Barb. Seems we both dodged the bullet. My SIL, Jo Ann, lives in Bartlesville, OK and this is their second day without power. She says that half of their power company staff were pulled to help those somewhere else in the state so it may be a while to get power back again. I haven't heard from Patty.

This definately makes you think about what you would do in the event of an extended power outage.

Susan said...

It was 70 here today - no joke. Craziness.