Monday, October 29, 2007

Catch Up Post

I got the, "ummm...Barb...you didn't post on your blog today," from Mike so here you go.

Dad came in for the weekend and arrived late Friday morning. It was a nice visit. We really didn't do anything but that's okay. Dad headed back for home on Sunday morning...leaving behind a copy of Shonen Jump for Daniel that he's hardly put down.

We decided to carve up some of the pumpkins tonight. The kids were surprised at how hard it was to get all of the insides of the pumpkins out. I gave them each a sharpie and had them draw faces onto the pumpkins. I told them that it works best when they use large, standard shapes. Jacob and Daniel followed directions pretty well...Hannah, well, she's four. Basically, she drew a bunch of ovals all over it and called it a cat. Ummm...okay. I did the best I could do carve it out and she seemed very happy with it. I think it looks like a pumpkin with a bunch of ovals cut out of it but she really thinks it looks like a cat. Hey, at least I didn't disappoint.

After the pumpkins were done, I prepped the seeds and tossed them into the oven. Mike came home from work and immediately went to town on them. Apparently, he'd never had them before. Unfortunately for me, I only got a couple because by the time I was done with whatever it was that I was doing, they were pretty much gone. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Enjoying the seeds...I didn't expect them to go as fast as they did!


Jacob finished up his poster for his Truman Home project for school. I think it turned out great. We were going to have him write a couple of paragraphs about his visit on the poster but realized that it would be much more legible if he printed it out on the computer and glued it on. We also printed out labels for the photos (some were postcards since we couldn't take pictures of the inside.). The poster is due tomorrow and he'll be doing his presentation either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm still shocked at what they ask these kids to do. I don't remember doing anything like this until at least middle school. The bonus is they like to do it and are so excited to see it come together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made it back to Peoria OK. I took the superslab through St Charles. Lots of traffic for a Sunday morning, but all the deer kills were from the night before and were no problem. What did raise the pucker factor was an overpass between Springfield and Lincoln where a bunch of pigeons came barreling out from under it followed by a middling sized hawk.
I missed contact, but then there's this OMG factor.

(^_^)

Susan said...

I've actually had shelled pumpkin seeds. They're like giant sunflower seeds. OMG are they good. I haven't found any since then, and I'm too lazy to sit and take all those kernels out of the hull. LOL

Barbara said...

Shelled pumpkin seeds...sounds good. There is no way I'd be making those, though. It was enough to seperate all those seeds from all that pulp. LOL!

Anonymous said...

We love pumpkin seeds. We will be doing our pumpkins tonight. We would have done them last night, but I found out Mary Rose's was rotten. Today we have a new pumpkin and are ready to carve.