Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Got Ragweed?

This Spring, I planted those rolly flower seed mats both in front and back of the house. The back didn't produce much but the front has really given me a lot of flowers. There were a lot of tall green plants that hadn't produced anything yet, but I thought that I'd just wait and see even though something told me that it wasn't a flower. Hmmmm. Out of the blue, I Googled weeds this morning and up popped my green stems under the heading "Common Ragweed." Knowing how much is out there, I grabbed some gloves, a big garden sack, popped a Claritin and put on some long sleeves. You know just how much was out there? Enough to actually fill one of those large paper garden bags almost to the top. There were several (6 to be exact) plants living close to the pool (I wonder if this is why Hannah's been having a lot of breathing issues). I think I heard each of my flowers say "thank you" with each of the plants I pulled (I probably pulled 30). Oh, just for future reference, you can see what it looks like here. My plants looked exactly like this, although not as wide and bushy.

Now, I only had the ragweed where I had planted the flower mats. My assumption is that there were ragweed seeds in the mats. So, if you have planted these mats, check for ragweed! Can you take Benadryl on top of Claritin? I think I need to go take another shower.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! At least it's green. I got a nice local shower on my lawn today. I thought that the clouds had passed us by yet again, but no, I got rain.

Oh, and Bob got his limb off his garage yesterday. It's been carted away.

(^_^)

Phil '59

Barbara said...

It's about time he got that limb down. I'm assuming that it didn't fall.

And, Dad, you don't have to put your name and year...I know who you are! ;) LOL!

Barbara said...

Oh, and when it comes to ragweed, the "if it's green it can stay" theory gets tossed out the window.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't flowering yet, though, was it? We have terrible trouble starting at the beginning of August with ragweed.

Susan said...

It looks like a fern. Is ragweed supposed to look like a fern? Weird.

Barbara said...

There are a lot of different kinds of ragweed, as I've discovered in my brief research this morning. The stuff I pulled out today can get up to 5 feet tall (although some say only 3). It was already about 2 1/2 feet tall. And, no, it wasn't flowering yet. Thankfully.