Wednesday, October 18, 2006

How Far Do We Go?

I saw this article today. Massachussets School Bans Tag I find it absolutely ridiculous. Seriously. Are schools really that afraid of lawsuits that they would outright ban these games? Unbelievable. People have to get over the fact that you cannot protect your children every second of the day by banning childhood games. Just how far is it going to go? Do we ban jumprope because someone might trip and fall? I wouldn't doubt it. I see the boys climbing trees in the backyard all of the time. My advice to them? If you fall, don't come crying to me that you're hurt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They want everything dealing with
kids supervised by adults. Lord
forbid that kids can play by
themselves and socialize normally.

:-(

Barbara said...

I knew this would piss you off, Dad. I get so tired of signing waivers of liablity for school and everything else. Ugh...it just gets to be too much. At Columbia, there was a huge old tree on the playground. It had a root coming out of the ground that came up to our waists. It was fun to sit on, climb on, etc. Kari was standing on it, fell off and broke her arm. No one thought of suing the school. I remember Mrs. Locker telling us that if we were stupid enough to fall off then maybe we shouldn't be playing there. LOL! I can't imagine teachers saying that now! They'd be fired for sure.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Locker! I liked her even if she didn't believe that I was really reading Chesapeake in 8th grade.

I don't think our kids can play tag either. I had heard Emma say that once and did't quite believe her. I suppose I shouldn't just dismiss stuff. I know when I was a lunch monitor, the kids liked to play "red rover". Now that was a rough game.

Barbara said...

I had Mrs. Locker a million times between 4th and 8th grade. She was okay. Now, Miss Tucker, she was the one that didn't believe I was reading To Kill A Mockingbird in, what was it, 7th or 8th grade.