Sunday, August 20, 2006

What a Weekend

We got quite a lot done yesterday. Mike and I were beginning to get nervous about the fact that we were getting close to L-Day (List day) and we still had a lot to do. (I set up the appointment to have the carpets cleaned on Tuesday!!!!)

After Daniel's baseball game (the last one of the summer season...one week's rest before Fall Ball starts) we headed to Lowe's to see what we could pick up to polish our floors. We picked up some industrial cleaner and polish, as well as some Simple Green for the garage floor, another gallon of paint, some spackle and various supplies. We took down the pictures in the upstairs hallway (it looks so empty now) and spackled all of the nail holes. I also patched up the hole in the stairwell where the handrail had come out so many times. After getting the kids in bed, I couldn't wait to start on the floor so, with Mike looking at me like I was insane, I cleared out the front entry and began work. This stuff really does get the wood nice and shiny. I was able to get the front entry and kitchen done Friday night and headed to bed around 3:30am.

Yesterday, I was awoke to the sound of Mike mowing. Color me surprised. He usually mows on Sunday. We had lunch and decided to get some work done. Mike headed out to the garage to tackle the floor and I headed upstairs to tackle more painting. After a while, I wanted to see how the garage was coming along so I headed outside. Mike was moving right along with it. I grabbed a sponge mop and decided to try to squeegee up the sludge that was beginning to accumulate on the floor. Halfway through, my neighbor, Jackie, and her adorable little 2 pound (I'm not kidding) Yorkie puppy, Emily, stopped by to ask if we'd like to come do her floor. She recommended a landscaper and carpet place and had to go, but let her know how Stanley Steamer does with our carpets. She'd like to have some of her furniture done and she was nervous about who to call. Wayne and Cheryl drove by and asked how it was all going. Mike told them about how we were having a problem getting lanscapers to call us back. Wayne asked why we were bothering with that. We told him that we want the house to look as good as it can. He said that there was no reason to waste money on that, wished us luck and left. Here's the thing (lessons I've learned from all the times we've sold the house)...when you're moving, you want every aspect of your house to look fantastic and sparkle. I know for a fact that we didn't choose a house down the street because of the landscaping. It was awful. The realtor told us that if we liked the house enough to consider it but were going back on it because of the landscaping, she'd come out after closing with a shovel to help us clear it out. No thank you. Anything you can do to make your house stand out, do it!

Okay...where was I? Oh! So we were finishing up the garage and James came by to ask if the realtor from Kansas had called. We said that he had but we couldn't talk to him until we talk to our relo person on Monday. He said that was cool and drove off. A little bit later (now this is scary), I saw their van drive by...with CHELSEA driving! Jonna had told me that she got her permit but I couldn't believe it when I saw it. She's not old enough to drive, is she?!? Anyway, (I'm going off subject a lot today) we hosed out the garage and left it to dry. I went back in to do some more painting and Mike took a well deserved hearts break.

I was able to finish the painting pretty quickly. I still have to do all of the cutting in (I hate that part) but for the most part, it's done. I decided that I was in full on cleaning mode so I cleared out the dining room and cleaned and polished in there. The only room left to do is the living room and I'm really wishing I had done that room instead of the dining room. Oh well. It's all got to get done sometime.

Did I mention that I was also able to get 3 loads of laundry done, folded and put away yesterday, too?

Tomorrow, I'm going to the Floor Shop (Jackie highly recommends them and if they are good enough for her, they're certainly good enough for me - you should see her house...it's so clean and sparkling...always. I've never once been in her house where there was anything out of place. It makes me sick! And she has three kids! LOL!) I'm also going to finish the painting and try to get ahold of some landscapers.

L-Day is definitely nearing!

No comments: