Friday, February 10, 2006

Snowstorm Alert!

People here are so wierd. We have a Winter Storm Watch effective until Midnight Saturday night. Depending on the track of the storm, we could get anywhere between 3-7 inches. That's some good snow. Time to make sure we have gas for the snowblower, and it might be a good idea to get a new shovel since the handle is broken on our old one. Since I'm having a workshop tonight, I had to go to the store to get refreshments and thought that the best place would be Wal Mart. You'd think I'd learn that any time someone says "snow," it causes mass panic and confusion. Remember, I live in an area where 1 inch of snow (A)causes schools to close for 2 days and probably a late arrival on the third day, (B)is actually referred to as "a massive snow storm," (C)sends people out to stock up on gallons of milk and dozens of eggs. All for 1 inch. I'm not kidding.

The level of panic at Wal Mart was less than normal (I would expect that by tonight, they will be close to out of milk, eggs and meat) but still crazy. They had most of their lanes open (unusual for a Friday morning) and each had at least 3 in line with overflowing carts. The cashiers were already looking tired. Luckily, they still had a decent supply of shovels, although they were going fast.

I hope we do get some snow...the kids haven't really been able to play in any this season.

1 comment:

Susan said...

People don't stop and think at all. It's good for business, I guess.